Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Catching up

I've been kind of "incommunicado" the past week while in my paramedic refresher training course in Anchorage. The wi-fi connection in my motel room was horrible and my days were spent filling my head with knowledge, at least that's what the instructors allege.

Seriously, the instructors of Southern Region EMS Council consistently provide us with excellent classes that accomplish the goal. Those of us who work as medics on the pipeline have a rather unique role in EMS, and an unusually broad scope of practice. Most of us are also very experienced, often more experienced than our instructors. Fortunately, our instructors recognize and respect that. It makes it much easier to endure "yet another" refresher. This was my 16th ACLS refresher class - and the human heart really hasn't changed a whole lot over the past 33 years. The things we do to keep that heart beating have changed a LOT, though.

All of the Yukon Quest mushers have finished their race. I haven't heard many of the trail stories yet, but I'm sure there will be a few floating around here and there. My favorite local Iditarod racers are in the midst of pre-race preparation for the 2009 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, which starts next weekend. I'll be following the race on-line as best I can, but I refuse to pay money for their website's "Insider" stuff. Most of it is just touchy-feelie "fluff", and frankly I'd rather spend the money sponsoring my favorite I'rod kennel (SP Kennel) or to the Yukon Quest, which need the money more than the heavily corporate I'rod.

This time of year is the peak of the sled dog racing season in Alaska, and those of us who play with our dogs sometimes refer to it as "March madness". Last weekend Buddy Streeper accomplished the greatest "come from behind" victory in the history of the Anchorage Fur Rondy championship race, and in the Fairbanks area limited class teams ran the North Pole Limited Sled Dog Championship. Next weekend marks the start of the Iditarod. Coming soon will be the Limited North American Championship, followed a week later by the Open North American, and then the Tok Race of Champions.

I'll be at my place of employment during much of this, but of course I'll be following along as best I can on-line.

For now, it's time to finish my laundry and packing, and head out the door for a two-week tour of duty at my place of employment. I have some personal projects I'd like to work on while at work as well as my normal duties, so I'll have plenty to keep my hands busy. I have some gear that needs repair, need to build some new reproduction harnesses for my team, and of course I have some writing projects I need to complete. If "idle hands are the devil's workshop", I'm afraid I don't give ol' Beezlebub much room to do It's thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment