Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Solstice

I am a short-timer here at my place of employment.  Tuesday morning I'll be off like a shot, heading home for two weeks of well deserved R&R.  The forecast temperatures look pretty favorable for running sled dogs, ranging just a few degrees on either size of zero for the first week or so.  My friend Mike says we got about 4 inches of new snow on the ground while I've been here on the job.  I'm not sure it will be enough to make the trails safer, but I have every intention of checking it out at my earliest opportunity.

Assuming the timer on Blogger works properly, this post should appear at exactly 8:47 am,  the exact time of the December solstice, known as the winter solstice here in North America.  In the northern hemisphere the December solstice marks the longest night (shortest day) of the year.  Being so close to the arctic circle, we will have only 3 hours and 43 minutes of possible direct sunlight.  From this moment on, however, we can honestly declare that the days are getting longer, and summer is on the way.

Because I'm on the job during night shift, I should be sound asleep at the appointed hour and minute, but I'll celebrate the solstice and symbolic changing of seasons in my own quiet way tonight,  sending my prayers of gratitude and expressing my hopes and dreams for the coming year to the Creator.  I hope that you will celebrate the day in your own way, and that the lengthening days to come bring unlimited blessings into your life.  Should your own celebration include meditation or prayer, please remember to ask a blessing for those out on the trail, far from hearth and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment