Saturday, May 14, 2011

Introducing Selene

Today I welcomed a new dog into the Stardancer kennel.  Selene, named for the mythological daughter of Hyperion and Theia, is a gift from Rose Rosenberg and was recommended for my team by Kim Fitzgerald, who is one of the movers and shakers of the Hedlund Husky Preseravation Project.

Selene will be two years old in August.  She is 1/4 Hedlund Husky, 1/4 trapline husky and 1/2 from a Great Pyrenees mix.  She's done several 'puppy runs' for Kim and has worked very well on all of them, and has even run lead.

As you can see in the photo, Selene has a "freight dog" build, more stocky than the historical 'traveling dogs'.  She is built for power rather than speed, with a conformation similar to that of Alaskan Malamutes, Canadian Inuit Dogs and similar types of freighting huskies. 


You can also tell from the photo that she is just starting to "blow" her coat as she sheds her thick, downy underfur.  Selene seems like a very bright dog, as she was relating the 'click' to the 'treat' after only a handful of repetitions.  I'm betting she'll prove to be easily trained.  She settled right in and made herself at home without any muss or fuss. 

Rose and Kim brought Selene to me last night, and stayed overnight in my spare bedroom.  This morning I hooked up a team of 8 so that Kim could watch some of the dogs run.  Though she'd visited before, she hadn't had a chance to see my Hedlund husky "twins", Rose and Nels, out on the trail.  She was also interested in watching the pups at work. 

I put Rose in lead, next to Just, had Cassie and Capella in swing, Denali and Orion in team and Nels and Beau in wheel.  We did the mile and 1/4 loop up to Rod and Julie's place and back, and I couldn't have asked for a better team.  They were struttin' their stuff in their most impressive fashion. 

I've finished my annual firearms qualification and training for work, so have the rest of the R&R free to do with as I wish.  The kennel needs some work this week and I should run a variety of errands to town.  Otherwise I'm free to do as I wish, and I suspect I'll spend a lot of that time just hanging out with my dogs.

1 comment:

  1. You have some great new team members for your kennel! Beautiful looking dogs!!!

    ReplyDelete