Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Commute & some miscellany

I work at a remote industrial facility located just above Minto Flats in the westernmost part of the White Mountains.  It's about 55 miles from Fairbanks, which means my bi-monthly commute is roughly 75.  It's really a nice drive most times, unless the weather is foul. 

Tuesday morning's drive was pretty exceptional, as I was on the road during sunrise.  Traffic wasn't bad at all, but there are a lot of hunters camped along the haul road.  Most are well out of the way but a few of those brain scientists and rocket surgeons can't resist setting up their camps in such a way as to block off pipeline access roads, trailheads and other places that might afford someone else a bit of access to the woods.  I can understand their desire for a bit of privacy, as there are a LOT of people wanting to take advantage of moose hunting season. 

Sunday evening I took my rifle and four-wheeler out to 'look around in the woods' for a couple of hours.  In the course of only 3 hours I encountered at least 10 people all with the same idea.  The woods are a lot more crowded than they were just a couple of years ago.  From September 5th through 20th, you can hardly throw a rock without hitting one.  Not much can be done about it, though.  Not everyone can afford a float plane, a river boat, or other expensive toys to access more remote areas.  That doesn't make it any less of a vexation, though.

But, back to my drive to work.  As I approached Wickersham Dome I was treated to a view of the full moon sinking toward the horizon as the sun was rising from the other direction.  It's almost exactly the opposite of the "moonrise at sunset" photo I posted a few days ago.  I stopped at the pullout for the Wickersham Dome trailhead (where only four hunter's vehicles were parked), and captured this image to share with you.

Moonset at Sunrise

I'm working day shift, 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.  Day shift always seems to be very busy around here, leaving little free time to dedicate to my own interests.  That means I'm not likely to be posting a whole lot on the blog until I get off duty in a couple of weeks.  Of course one never knows what may happen in the meantime, but for now it's time for me to get back to do some stuff on behalf of my employer.  I'll see you next as soon as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment