Sunday, February 5, 2012

NDN Dogs

Prior to the late 20th century, aboriginal dogs were called either "Indian dogs" or "Eskimo dogs".  It is much easier for me to write using historical terminology that is well understood by all, even if it isn't considered politically correct today.

As an historical reenactor, one of my mushing goals is to put together a team of dogs that accurately reflect the historical descriptions of the Indian (abbreviated NDN) dogs of the past.  I think I'm getting close to achieving that milepost in my Stardancer Historical Sled Dogs project and the future promises even more improvement.

Today my friend Trish and I took out a team of my eight most historically authentic dogs, and we had a GREAT run and great time.  My young leaders behaved like old professionals out on the trail.  Five of the 8 are dogs I can regularly run in lead, and another can do a reasonable job up front from time to time.

Dogs on the team included:
Cassiopeia and Capella (3 year old leaders)
Orion and Midnight's Son (both 3 year olds)
Denali (~ 10 years old) and Aumaruq (1 year old yesterday)
Rose and Nels (both 5 year olds)

We did a relatively short 8 mile run from the house to a pair of ponds and returned.  Those dogs had nothing on their minds but running, and it showed.  The trail conditions were exceptional, the weather pleasant bordering on downright balmy, and with good company in the basket I enjoyed myself immensely.

My team of historically authentic Indian dogs with Trish standing on the brake.
Here is a musher's-eye view of my Indian Dogs running through the woods and even running on water. 



Out on the Quest Trail:
The current standings show 5 teams already out of the checkpoint at Central, now following Birch Creek toward the next checkpoint of Circle City.  Those are:

1
02/05/12
11:18
02/05/12
11:31
14 / 14 / 0
-
2
02/05/12
13:18
02/05/12
14:01
13 / 13 / 1
-
3
02/05/12
14:52
02/05/12
14:57
14 / 13 / 1
-
4
02/05/12
11:32
02/05/12
16:40
14 / 14 / 0
-
5
02/05/12
12:55
02/05/12
16:41
14 / 14 / 0
-

Out of the Mile 101 Dog Drop and traveling toward Central we have six more teams:
6
02/05/12
13:22
-
14 / - / -
02/05/12
18:28
7
02/05/12
13:53
-
14 / - / -
-
8
02/05/12
14:17
-
14 / - / -
-
9
02/05/12
15:23
-
13 / - / -
-
10
02/05/12
15:29
-
14 / - / -
-
11
02/05/12
16:30
-
13 / - / -
-

I strongly feel that one of these 11 teams will be our 2012 Champion.  Michael Telpin, from Chokotka, is still in the race and is currently at Mile 101 but musher Maren Bradley has scratched at the Two Rivers checkpoint.

The Puppies:
Animosh and Chetan turned 11 weeks old today, but their behavior and play is like that of much older puppies.  I'm convinced it's a result of the early socialization and training provided by their breeder, Linda Newman of Points Unkown and the days they spent with Nita Fowler's older puppies under her supervision in her home at Sirius Sled Dogs.

They spend about half their time outside, in a pen that is attached to the house and thus easily accessible.  They seem to be adapting to our climate very nicely, and are smart enough to share body heat when resting - as they are using only one of the 2 available doghouses in that large pen. 

Chetan sticks her head out while Animosh leaves the house is search of pets
When let indoors they clamber up the steep, dark stairway like older puppies and then romp for hours in the living area.  Although it took two days longer than her sister, Chetan has also figured out how to jump to get on the futon, and seems quite proud of her accomplishment.  Yes, I do allow dogs on my furniture.

Chetan on the futon bed
Although they can clean out every toy in the toybox in an incredibly short period of time, one of their favorites is a fabric snake that has five or six squeakies in it, plus a rattle in it's tail.  Even with their short puppy-like attention span, they can play 'snake killer' for minutes and minutes at a time.

Animosh the snake killer
I can't imagine any way in which I could be more happy with, or more proud of my little Hedlund Gray Husky puppies.

But, now it's time for me to go out and feed the team, scoop the yard and decide what to feed the large, gregarious, mostly hairless and allegedly intelligent primate (myself).  Wherever you are, I hope that your day was at least as much fun as was my own.






































2 comments:

  1. We are watching your blog and videos in our homeschool history class each Monday. We are learning about things in the USA that many people don't know, and we found your blog while learning the history of the Iditarod race.
    We like your dogs. They run fast, do they like to play with a football?
    How cold is it there?
    How do they keep ice out of their paws?
    What do they eat and how much? Does their food have to have a lot of protein for their muscles?
    We will check back next Monday.

    Christopher, age 6
    Amy Michelle, almost 4
    Auston. age 5
    Mrs Updike age-not telling

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! How delightful it is to have such interest in these old-fashioned types of sled dogs.

    My dogs are not as fast as racing dogs, but they still maintain a nice pace. On a run Sunday (February 5th) they traveled almost 9 miles at an average speed of 8.7 miles per hour, with another person besides myself riding in the sled.

    As I type today (Monday) it is 20 degrees above zero (F). Last Monday it was about 30 degrees below zero. During winter our temperatures here can range anywhere from about 25 degrees above zero to as cold at 50 degrees below zero.

    My old-fashioned dogs only wear booties when temperatures are colder than 20 degrees below zero, or when it is warm enough for the snow to start melting. When the temperature is colder than about 30 degrees above zero, snow does not accumulate between their pads so they don't get ice balls. However in warmer weather I have to either rub a greasy ointment like petroleum jelly (Vasoline) between their pads or put them in booties. If a dog does get ice balls between the pads I can stop and he or she will chew them out in just a few minutes. If they are really bad I may have to help by melting the ice balls with my hands. That is VERY cold for the musher.

    My dogs eat kibble that is specially formulated for doggie athletes call Native Level 4, and they also get raw salmon or raw meat. Their food must have a very high amount of protein for their muscles, and also a high amount of fat to give them the energy they need to work and play hard.

    May I ask a few questions of my own?

    Where are you guys located?
    What is the weather like at your home?
    Why is the weather where you live different from that where I live?
    Do you have any dogs?
    How fast can you run?
    How does that compare to the speed that my sled dogs run?

    Thank you for your interest in these historical types of dogs.

    Respectfully:

    Swanny, Orion, Capella, Cassiopeia, Chinook, Amazing Grace, Just, Denali, Seamus, Beau, Selene, Innoko, Midnight's Son, Aumaruq, Nels, Rose, Animosh and Chetan. WE are the Stardancer Historical Sled Dogs

    “A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” William Francis Butler

    ReplyDelete