Saturday, November 5, 2022

2022 Election. How I rank candidates for National Office, and why.

 This post is about my personal political opinions. 

If you aren't interested in my political opinions, just scroll on by. My mind is set and it's very unlikely anything you comment either here or on social media will change my mind.

I describe my political leanings as "Practical Libertarian". I am a registered Libertarian and usually vote for Libertarian candidates as my choice when such candidates are on the ballot. That noted, I reserve and exercise the right to vote against the showboating, politically ignorant quacks that sometimes fly the Libertarian banner,.

Istrongly feel that the government which governs least governs best. I am in favor of strong local governments and weak distant governments. I believe local jurisdictions (municipalities or boroughs) are more likely to appreciate and address the needs of their citizens while imposing their will on the smallest proportion of the general population as possible.

I believe that State Governments are more likely to appreciate and address the needs of the citizens of each State than is the Federal Government.

As the accompanying meme demonstrates, during this election I have a particularly strong disdain for the Alaska Republican Party and the candidates most strongly supported by the party. Over the past few legislative sessions the ARP has chosen to severely punish Republican legislators who demonstrate the courage to think for themselves and vote against the party line. I have a far more favorable view of legislators who are willing to examine and follow the evidence than simply kowtow to the so-called "Party Leadership".  


My choices for U.S. Senate:

#1 - Lisa Murkowski

Over the years Ms. Murkowski has made legislative decisions that prove she is either a helluva lot smarter than her daddy, or at least a helluva lot more politically astute. She clearly prioritizes the needs of her constituents above the desires of the ARP puppet-masters. She scores additional points with me in that she is not a disciple of His Royal Majesty and Savior Donald Trump. In other words, she's proved she actually has a brain and is willing to use it.

#2 - Patricia Chesbro

Ms. Chesbro seems to recognize the importance of supporting the fossil fuel industry while refining the technology and building the infrastructure necessary to transition to more environmentally friendly energy production and distribution. She also seems to be supportive of the civil rights of historically oppressed minorities, which is important to me. I can't justify fighting for my own rights if I'm willing to extend those rights to others, even others with whom I disagree.

#3 - Kelly Tshibaka

I may decide to not rank Ms. Tshibaka at all. I hold her in such disdain that it's difficult to not spell her last name as "Chewbaka", bacause her ranting reminds me of the growls, grunts and groans of that big, fuzzy Star Wars character.

Ms. Tshibaka comes across as His Royal Majesty and Savior Donald Trump's loyal desciple and therefore a proponent of Christian Evangelical Theocracy, with which I simply can not abide. I believe that your religion belongs in your church, your home and possibly in your interactions with society, but should be kept as far away from OUR government as possible.

My Choices for U.S. Representative:

#1 - Chris Bye

By now you've probably guessed that my first choice for the U.S. House would be Libertarian candidate Chris Bye. Mr. Bye can't generate nearly the resources needed to defeat the mainstream party candidates, which is truly a pity. We haven't heard much about him from the press, but his position on the issues in play are clearly stated on his web site at https://www.itstimealaska.com/issues/.

He comes across as a practical Libertarian, recognizing that little can be to repair the damage done by a couple of centuries of bi-partisan gamesmanship, but much can, and should, be done to slow the bleeding.

I don't expect him to win, but with our ranked choice voting system it is likely that the candidate with the fewest votes will be dropped and those of us who do rank him first will be counted based on our 2nd rank choices.

#2 - Mary Peltola

The incumbent elected to finish out the late Don Young's term, Ms. Peltola has already shown that she puts the needs of her constituents to be of higher priority than the desires of the Democratic Party. I've been comfortable with her decisions so far, so see no reason why she should be replaced.

#3 - Nick Begich

Begich seems to have a good track record on economic issues, but fails as a supporter of individial civil rights. He strikes me as another strict adherent to the ARP party line and therefore a proponent of the Christian Evangelical Theocracy - which is little more than the Christian version of Muslim Sharia Law.

Truly his only saving grace is that he is not Sarah Palin.

#4 - Nobody at all.

The fourth candidate for this office is our former 1/2 term governor Sarah Palin, who I truly and thoroughly despise. She tries to come across as a tried and true desciple of His Royal Majesty and Savior Donald Trump, but in reality her lord and master is the camera, and she seems to be willing to do or say anything that gains her more air-time. If elected, I belive she become the Replican version of Demoncrat activist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Our Nation simply doesn't need 2 of them.

Ballot Measure 1

No

Constitutionally required every decase, Ballot Measure 1 calls for a State Constitutional Convention to bascially rewrite our State Constitution. While supporters of Ballot Measure 1 argue it's an opportunity to finally settle questions surrounding our Permanent Fund Dividend, the majority of supporters seem to be Christian Evangelical organizations more interested in stripping our unique "Right to Privacy" clause in order to outlaw abortion.

I believe that our Right to Privacy in our own homes is our most important tool to keeping religious zealots out of our homes and bedrooms and I'm not willing to risk it.

So, there you have it. That's how I intend to vote on Tuesday, and why. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree I do encourage you to research the candidates and their positions and put a lot of thought behind your own choices, and then follow up by casting your own ballot on Tuesday.


No comments: