Friday, February 2, 2007

It's GOOD to be home again.

I got home at 2:30 am yesterday and was up at 7:30 ready to hit the ground a runnin'. I went over to my buddy Mike's place to get my dogs, and drove them home. The gang has been just hangin' out, not running for two weeks, but they did very well physically on the run home. There were a couple of behavior issues, but I think they were mostly because the mutts were SO excited to be running again.

Everyone seemed happy to be back in our own home, including me. My work and training schedule is sometimes a bit of a vexation just because it keeps me away from my own place so much. It's especially hard trying to train and condition my small dog team as the gaps in their training schedule makes it difficult to increase mileage to a level where we can go camping and touring.

I checked my mail yesterday and dealt with a couple of bills. Had a nice long visit with Abby West, who I haven't seen in some time. She has been having a tough year for injuries with her team and we were brainstorming possible causes of the wrist and shoulder injuries that have plagued her kennel since the Copper Basin 300 race. I then stopped in for a visit with Aliy Zirkle and Allen Moore. They are tired after the mountainous terrain of the Tustumina 200 but are very pleased with their performance as well as that of their dogs. It will be very exciting to follow their progress as they run the Iditarod this year.

I talked with my friend Lynn on the phone this morning. One of her best dogs, a nine year old Alaskan Husky named "Bobcat" suffered a career ending injury Sunday. I'm really sad for her and Bob. I've driven Bob several times, and he is one of the most driven dogs I know. I suspect we'll need to try to find a non-mushing pet home for Bob just so he doesn't have to watch his kennel mates run while he's stuck back in the pen.

I always enjoy catching up on all the news and even the local gossip after I've been away for a while. Although Two Rivers is a small spot on a map of the world there always seems to be something happening.

[Sigh]. Meanwhile, back at the ranch. I plan to truck my team over to Lynn's place today to take advantage of easy access to the trail system. Baseline is a LONG, straight trail with lots of distance options, and my guys need a good long run to get some of this energy under control. I want to see how far they can comfortably run so I can assess our training program.

Besides, I'm doing a behavior mod program for a couple of rescued dogs in Lynn's yard, and it's been awhile since I've been able to work with them. I'm sure they need some refresher training.

Although I need to pick up some groceries I'm hoping to avoid going into town until Monday. I have to return to work on Tuesday so I have limited time to do the things that are important to me. Today I'll be running dogs, and I'll probably want to give them a run on Sunday as well.

Monday will be a busy day in the Big City of Fairbanks. I have a lunch appointment with some friends I've not seen in a long time, and two of my dogs have a vet appointment for annual physical exams and vaccinations. I'll also need to get a haircut and buy a few supplies, so it will be a long afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment