Monday, October 8, 2007

Meet "Gump".


I returned home from Kentucky yesterday evening to find an inch or so of fresh snow on the ground. It's the first of the season and I hope a good sign that we will have a more 'normal' winter up here, with enough snow to run sled dogs on good trails. It occurs to me that I have never driven a team on a truly good trail, and I might not know how to do so.

"Gump" is the newest recruit for the Stardancer Team. He was originally whelped in Eagle, Alaska and worked for a while on a trapline team in the Fortymile country. I don't know the details, but he was rescued from that situation in starving condition, and I've been told that some of the dogs rescued from that team had already died of starvation. For the past two years he's been running on a rescue/rehabilitation team.

I'm told that Gump is 9 years old and is a good gee/haw trail leader. Of course I won't know for sure until I run him. Then we'll see whether or not he's willing to lead my team. If so he'll become he newest member of the Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs team, bringing us back up to full strength.

Swanny

No comments:

Post a Comment