Friday, June 13, 2008

Catching Up on News

I returned to my place of employment Tuesday. As promised, I did spread the grass seed in the play area on Saturday, and I also mowed the grass in my front 'lawn'. Sunday, my 'day of rest' I leisurely tidied up my house, tightened a dining room chair that had long been threatening to pitch me onto the floor, and repaired the face on a cabinet drawer that chose Sunday morning to fall off. I also spent a couple of hours using up the remaining sheet of extra T-111 siding by building a fourth new dog house. All in all I'd say it was a pretty productive rest day.

Of course, Monday was spent mostly running errands in the morning in preparation for returning to my job. I've only been back a couple of days and I'm already looking forward to the next R&R. When I get off work I'll be leaving straightaway for the Alaska State Rendezvous, which will held near Talkeetna this year. The rendezvous is essentially a reenactment of the American fur-trade rendezvous' of the early 19th century, in which trappers gathered to exchange their furs for goods and supplies needed for the next season, and engaged in a huge annual party. During our rendezvous living history enthusiasts from throughout the State get together to live like 19th century homeless people.

We finally seem to be easing into our beautiful Alaskan summer. I've seen some wild roses blooming here and there, and the fireweed has grown a bit beyond the "shoot" stage, though is still a ways from blooming. After another winter of minimal snow, our 'break up' was a long, drawn out affair more accurately described as a slow thaw.

During a normal year, I would expect to have seen blazing hot temperatures in the 80s or even low-90s by now. So far temperatures rising into the mid-70s have been rare. The good news is that mosquito and wasp populations have been low thus far.

That pretty much wraps up the news of the moment. The weather is beautiful today, the woods around my place of employment are quiet and calm, and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment