Friday, February 6, 2009

Employment

I've been back at my place of employment since Tuesday morning, doing what I must to earn a living. There really isn't much "news" to report, but I wouldn't want you to worry that I've forgotten to update my Blog.

Today would be the perfect day for mushing dogs, if I had dogs and a sled available here on the pipeline (sigh). The temperature is a few degrees above zero, there is little wind, and a nice, gentle fall of snow. Though I'm stuck here I hope others are able to take full advantage of the opportune weather.

The Klodike 300 Sled Dog Race has been rescheduled to start tomorrow at 1 pm. Poor trail conditions have forced them to postpone the race several times, and several mushers who were relying on it as a qualifier for the Yukon Quest have had to withdraw from the bigger race as a result.

Meanwhile, my major project for this tour of duty at my place of employment is to study up from my annual paramedic refresher course, which will be coming up at the end of the month. This year is "alphabet soup", starring the letters ACLS, BTLS, BLS, AMLS, and a few others as well. It's a recertification year, which means I get to take the same ol' test covering the same ol' material yet one more time. This will be my 16th or maybe 17th recetification exam. You would think at after 33 years of continuous practice I ought to be able to "get it right" at lease once in a while.

It's easy to be an old paramedic, though. All you have to do is just keep breathing, preferably 12 to 16 times per minute, every minute of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment