Friday, April 22, 2011

The Cycle Continues

Happy Earth Day.  I remember the very first Earth Day ever.  I was in high school and was one of those "damned long-haired hippy freaks" picking up garbage along the roadways of Colorado's Grand Valley.  Back then, no one thought much about "litter", it was common practice to wing your empty beer can or 'burger wrapper out the window at 60 mph, and you scored extra points if you nailed a passing mailbox. 

I don't know if things have gotten much better.  I live about 1/4 mile from the Borough's dumpster station (aka "transfer station"), and folks aren't always very good about securing their loads while hauling garbage, so picking up other people's trash along the road is a task that must be done a couple of times each summer. 

It's too early for trash pick up here, though.  Most of the garbage is buried under snow and slush.  That's a chore for a bit later in the season.  It is nonetheless a good day to remember the importance of caring for Mother Earth.  We've only got one of 'em (so far), and She needs a bit of help from each of us.

 
The cycle of seasons continues to roll along.  According to an article in today's issue of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner grizzly bears are starting to emerge from their dens in various locations around the Interior.  There isn't a heck of lot for them to eat yet, so they are likely to be a bit grumpy, sort of like I am before my first cup of coffee in the morning. 

My own spring cycle also continues.  I gave the kitchen a good ceiling to floor scrubbing yesterday, so today the bathroom is on my "to do" list. 

I got a bit of good news after my Kentucky trip.  I mentioned back on April 7th that my friend Bloody Bob Hunter had called to tell me about some special moose hunting drawing permits that were undersubscribed, and how to apply for one.  Well, when I got home from Kentucky I had only 1 message on my phone machine - telling me that I won one of those permits.  This is for a special muzzleloader only hunt in November.  It's an "either sex" hunt in a relatively inaccessible area not too far from home. 

Although it's hard to access during fall, once everything is frozen and there is snow on the ground it is quite accessible by dog team.  Bob drew one of those tags, so he and I are already planning an historically authentic hunt for late November.  Our plan is to do this as a reenactment of late 18th century wilderness life using only authentic equipment, supplies and methods. 

OK, I've had my coffee, Robin is spouting the news on HLN, and I've heard it all before.  I s'pose it's time for me to feed the team and start scrubbing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment