Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Starting the Mushing Season

I feel like we are getting a late start with sled dog training this year, mostly because we are.  Usually I can get in a few four-wheeler runs in September, and sometimes as early as late August.  This year my focus was on getting projects out of the way so I won't have to fret during the winter.  Consequently, yesterday was our first runs.

I ran two teams, just a short distance, to help them get their heads together and get back into the routine.  Since early season runs can be chaotic I make it a point to run small teams.  Our runs yesterday were relatively uneventful.  Both teams were a bit confused on launch, as I've moved the gate and even though the dogs know I moved the gate, they don't really know it in the context of running the trails.  Consequently both teams tried to leave the yard through the new equipment shed, but they quickly corrected.

Here are the training logs for our first runs, with a video clips from both teams following:

-->

Date, Day, &c:
Tuesday, October 16th, 2012
Mileage & Speed: 
1.25.  Speed unknown
Equipment:
Four wheeler
Route, Trail & Terrain Conditions: 
Home to Rod and Julie's and return
Weather: 
Overcast, snow with temperature around +25F.
Team: 
Rose & Orion
Capella and Grace
Beau and Denali
Narrative: 
Great first run of the season.  The team launched nicely, was reasonably well behaved on hook up.  Missed the "straight ahead" cue at the driveway on the return and I was unable to correct them after several attempts.  I'll need some help to work with them on that.


Date, Day, &c:
Tuesday, October 16th, 2012
Mileage & Speed: 
1.25.  Max speed 12.4 MPH, moving average speed 6.0, intentionally on my part.
Equipment:
Four wheeler
Route, Trail & Terrain Conditions: 
Home to Rod and Julie's and return
Weather: 
Overcast, snow with temperature around +25F.
Team: 
Cassie and Just
Selene & Nels
Aumaruq and Seamus
Narrative: 
All well behaved during hook up.  Aumaruq on left has kind of an odd gate, crabbing and with his left lower leg cocked at an unusual lateral angle.  I need to watch that closely.  It doesn't seem to be related to an injury of any sort.  Took the straight ahead cue very readily to return to the yard via our "winter route" off the powerline ROW.



No comments:

Post a Comment