Friday, August 17, 2007

Current Events

Even a bad day at home is better than a good day at work, especially when one only has a limited amount of time to do an unlimited amount of stuff.

First things first, though. When Linda Fredericksen returned home from her Alaska visit she sent me a photo that she took of me and my "megamutt", Sheenjek. Recently a correspondent complained that I have no photos of myself on my website. Well, I don't consider myself to be particularly photogenic but I figured I'd share Linda's photo with you here.


My current project is to fence in an area next to my dog yard where I can allow dogs to run free and play together. I should be finished with that project later today. If so, I'll share some photos of the finished play yard.

The recent weather has been interesting at best. Lots of overcast skies but the days have been too warm and way too humid to train sled dogs. My training partner have tried to plan training runs for early mornings, but due to one thing or another we haven't actually been able to bring those plans to fruition. I have to return to work on Tuesday, and trying to train during my September R&R can be difficult because it will also be moose hunting season.

In Alaska, "security" is often defined as 10 cord of firewood cut and a moose in the freezer by the middle of September. I don't heat with wood, but that moose in the freezer part would definitely qualify as security.

My past experience has proved that moose hunting is much like a second marriage. Both represent the triumph of hope over experience. In 15 years of moose hunting I've never harvested a moose and only seen legal animals twice during open seasons. The week before and week after moose hunting season it seems like I see bulls all over the place.

Updating my blog is fun, but it's not going to get gates hung in the new play yard. I'm outta here. Catcha later.

No comments:

Post a Comment