Thursday, October 22, 2009

What Next for Abner?

In a comment on the last update post, my sister wrote "What will happen now? Can a three legged dog pull a sled, or is he now bound to be a yard dog?"

For now, Abner needs to heal and regain his resources. He's body is producing red blood cells and blood plasma to replace that which he lost. He isn't entirely out of the woods yet, but the reports I've gotten are that he's doing well enough.

There certainly are three-legged sled dogs who do just fine. They run and pull with their team mates and are happy doing so. Abner is young and bright and enthusiastic and an all around busy boy - I have no doubt that whatever happens in the future, he'll do well and have a really good time doing so.

Unfortunately, I don't get to be a part of his future. Abner was owned by my intimate friend who lives Outside of Alaska and visits as frequently as she can. She intends to move north as soon as she can make necessary arrangements to do so, but in the meantime I was caring for and training Abner and some other dogs for her.

In the course of these events Abner's owner and I ran out of money. When we explained we were broke and couldn't afford $2,000.00 for the surgery, Abner was removed from our possession. I can't go into details about "who" or "how". The important thing is that Abner was given to a fellow I know, and who I know will give him a wonderful home and allow him to enjoy a full life, including pulling a sled if he wishes to do so. Sweet Abner will be given every opportunity to thrive.

A group of well-meaning people got together to save Abner's life at all costs, and they did indeed mount a truly heroic effort to do so. At this point it looks like they were successful and that Abner will go on to enjoy a full and rich life. Unfortunately, during the process, some very cruel things were said and done to Abner's owner which neither she nor I can tolerate.

I hope that you, the reader, will understand that as messy as the situation has become, the people involved truly were looking out for Abner. They did what they felt they had to do so save Abner's life, and they succeeded in doing so. Abner is going to be just fine.

I'm afraid however that I've learned an important and probably not a particularly positive lesson, because I've learned that some people who are incredibly kind to animals can be horribly cruel to humans.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that Abner has been removed from your care. Thinking about it.. I don't know any one who can readly get their hands on that much money in as short a time as you needed it. Even making arrangments for paying back a loan would take some time to get done. My heart breaks that your Loyal friend is going through so much, and now has to also wonder why you can't come and comfort him, as well. We humans "know" why, but our charges never know. It's been just over 18 months since I last stayed with our youngest. Having helped her raise a farm dog, Sam. Within seconds of our getting out of the Van he reconized us and was thrilled all over. His body wiggling from one end to the other with joy that we were back again. We may not be in the day to day of our dogs all the time, but they do have memory of us.

    ReplyDelete